"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." -Aristotle
|courtesy of Design Forum
The objective of the 1500 hour cosmetology course is to prepare you for all aspects of salon service. Through classroom theory and clinical practice, you will gain the well-rounded foundation you need to become a successful cosmetologist.
In the beginning of the program, you will learn the basic foundation of services and techniques used in salons on a daily basis. This includes shampooing, sculpting (cutting) on all hair types, proper use of tools used in the salon, sanitation and hygiene. As you proceed, you will study the methods and products used in changing hair texture and color. You will also study esthetics, which includes identifying different skin types, performing skin treatments, removal of unwanted hair and makeup application. Manicures, Pedicures and artificial nail services are also studied throughout the course.
Our Pivot Point curriculum includes review exercises to prepare you for the State Board exam, as well as an integrated Salon Success module which is a learning guide to help you as your career advances.
Basic Training - 1500 Hours
- Tools and their use, use of chemicals, sanitation, skin disease/conditions, electricity, nail technology, shampooing types of hair, hygiene, anatomy/physiology, ethics, and esthetics.
Practical Chemical Application
- Chemical Safety, hair coloring/tinting/bleaching, hair and scalp conditioning, permanent waving, hair relaxing, shampooing, toning, rinsing
- Hair cutting, hair shaping, thinning, trimming, curling, hair treatments, marcelling, application of electrical and mechanical equipment.
Shop management, sanitation, and interpersonal relations
- Labor law, client relations, marketing & merchandizing, right to know laws, sanitation, pertinent state/local laws & rules, personal grooming and hygiene, workers compensation, bookkeeping, emergency first aid, business ethics, electrical devices.
- Esthetics-Skin assessment/care, makeup application, facial massage and treatments, removal of unwanted hair, product knowledge and use of special products.
- Nail Technology-Manicuring, Pedicuring, artificial nails, nail art.
- Electives-30 hours of state required electives have been added to basic training.
Are you ready to work with the next generation of designers with the education and experience you have gained in your career? Then the Oehrlein School Teacher Training education is your first step toward becoming a valued mentor to our cosmetology students. This learning program will cover everything you need to know to be teaching cosmetology anywhere.
Our Teacher Training courses include both theoretical and practical instruction. The curriculum and courses of study are designed to instruct a teacher trainee in teaching methods that engage learner thinking and make each trainee efficient and effective in the classroom. Our program provides a classroom atmosphere that allows trainees to practice the teaching theories and skills they acquire in the program under the guidance of a licensed educator. To qualify for the 1,000 hour program you must have completed your Cosmetology Training and maintain an active license the entire time. To qualify for the 500 hour program you must have 2+ years of experience and maintain an active license the entire time.